Join Our Board
Rice County Area United Way welcomes Board applicants from throughout the Rice County area.
Rice County Area United Way is committed to diversity and inclusion.
To apply to join our Board, please read the roles and responsibilities below, and fill out the Board Application.
Please email your completed application to email@example.com. We will contact you to follow up.
Role of the Board
We’re proud to have a robust United Way in the Rice County area. Each United Way is independent in its leadership and local in its focus, its funding, and the organizations it supports. Board members support the work of Rice County Area United Way and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance.
While day-to-day operations are led by the Executive Director, the Board/Executive Director relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of all Board members is both critical and expected.
- Regularly attending board meetings and important related meetings
- Making a serious commitment to participate actively in Board and committee work
- Volunteering for and willingly accepting assignments, and completing them thoroughly and on time
- Staying informed about Board matters, preparing well for meetings, and reviewing and commenting on minutes and reports
- Getting to know other Board members and building a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus
- Being an active participant in the Board’s annual evaluation and planning efforts
- Participating in fundraising for the organization
- Making a financial donation to the organization that is significant to you and that reflects a commitment to the organization
Leadership, Governance and Oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director as s/he develops and implements Rice County Area United Way’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by Rice County Area United Way for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics
- Reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to Board and committee meetings
- Approving Rice County Area United Way’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the Executive Director
- Assisting the Executive Director and Board Chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the Executive Director and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Representing Rice County Area United Way to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization at events and in the community
- Ensuring Rice County Area United Way’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities Rice County Area United Way serves
Board Terms and Participation
- Board members serve a three-year term; members may serve two consecutive terms.
- Board meetings are typically held every other month, and Board members are expected to attend all except when unavoidable conflicts exist. During the coronavirus pandemic the Board is meeting via Zoom. At other times we may alternate between meeting online and meeting in person in Northfield and Faribault.
- Committee meetings and additional full-Board meetings are held as needed to facilitate campaign planning and execution, and grant decision-making.
- Individuals must embrace Rice County Area United Way’s commitment to serve the local community in three areas of focus: Education, Health, and Financial Stability / Basic Needs
- A commitment to equity and inclusion and to working towards elimination of persistent disparities in our communities
- Ideal candidates will have leadership stature in business, government, education and/or philanthropy, and a track record of community leadership
- Board members will demonstrate skills that enable them to collaborate with and attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board members
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- A commitment to and understanding of Rice County Area United Way’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Rice County Area United Way’s beneficiaries