Office is located in Northfield, Minnesota
Rice County Area United Way is seeking its next Executive Director. In this small (1.5 FTE total staff) United Way, the Executive Director wears many hats, from fundraising to grantmaking to marketing/community relations and more. If you thrive on variety and are committed to impact and excellence, this may be the role for you.
Overview of position:
- Manage and direct the activities of Rice County Area United Way to accomplish established organizational objectives and goals.
- Spearhead fundraising and grant-making.
- Maintain accountability for the overall operational and fiscal integrity of the organization within policies set by the Board of Directors.
Duties and Responsibilities
A. Set strategy and implement annual fundraising campaign.
- Develop effective communications strategy for individual and workplace giving; produce materials for annual campaign; conduct outreach across the communities we serve.
- Work with Board of Directors to set fundraising goals and campaign activities.
- Work with Campaign Coordinators to implement workplace giving campaigns; provide materials and support to Coordinators.
- Monitor campaign progress; supervise data collection and financial records.
B. Set strategy and implement annual grant-making process.
- Work with Board of Directors to set funding priorities.
- Solicit, organize and review grant applications.
- Recruit community members, organize and supervise Allocation Panels.
- Work with Board of Directors to review Panel recommendations and finalize grants.
- Evaluate effectiveness of grant-funded activities; monitor impact of grant-funded work.
- Foster relationships with and between Partner Agencies; provide ongoing support.
C. Manage financial resources including contributions, disbursements, and operating budget.
- Maintain an appropriate accounting system using accepted accounting principles.
- Ensure that all records are maintained and submitted as required by governmental agencies, the United Way Worldwide, and the Board of Directors-appointed auditor.
- Work with Board of Directors, Finance Committee and Treasurer to maintain oversight, transparency and accuracy of all finances.
D. Develop and enhance public awareness of Rice County Area United Way, its goals and mission. Build relationships and goodwill for RCAUW across the communities we serve.
- Act as RCAUW’s representative in community affairs. Represent RCAUW to local leaders, community organizations, partner agencies, the media, and the general public.
- Develop a close working relationship with community leaders, business and corporate leaders, citizen groups, organizations, institutions, and government agencies.
- Foster donor relations.
- Set communications strategy to raise awareness and esteem of RCAUW and its contributions to the communities we serve.
- Implement communications primarily through annual fundraising campaign, with ongoing communications throughout the year.
- Foster connections between organizations and individuals to enhance health & human services across the communities we serve.
- Serve as a resource for individuals seeking assistance from RCAUW.
E. Spearhead administrative practices to facilitate the on-going operation of the organization.
- Recruit, develop and foster an effective, professional Board of Directors.
- Schedule, prepare materials, oversee documentation and minutes for Board meetings.
- Maintain organizational plans, policies, and procedures to ensure an effective operation of the Rice County Area United Way.
- Develop effective and efficient support systems for RCAUW in such areas as computer services, staff and Board training, personnel and property management.
- Prepare and present to the board a fiscal year-end report to include: an evaluation of all major activities, status of goals and objectives, and recommendations for the upcoming year.
- Seek training, career development and networking opportunities through local, regional and national United Way resources.
- Bachelor’s Degree; or a comparable combination of experience and education
- Four (4) or more years of experience in the areas of fundraising, relationship building, leadership or similar, preferably in a nonprofit environment
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Able to successfully complete background check
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Rice County Area United Way is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity in all aspects of United Way activities, and respect all without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, national origin or ancestry, marital status, familial status, veteran status, sexual orientation, or disability.